St. Anne Parish Historical Timeline
1900 – The Basilian Order opens St. Thomas College, the college preparatory school that became St. Thomas High School.
1924 – On September 19, Bishop Christopher Byrne asks Rev. John O’Reilly to find a suitable location for a new church due to Houston’s westward growth. O’Reilly is the first pastor from 1925 to 1928.
1927 – In July, Rev. Thomas O’Rourke and Rev. John Glanvin make a request to Bishop Bryne for their own parish to operate and from which they could fund a new St. Thomas H.S.
1928 – April 28, Bishop Byrne places St. Anne Parish in the charge of the Basilians.
1929 – The second St. Anne Church, at a cost of $21,000, is completed in October.
1930 – Sisters of Divine Providence staff the new St. Anne Catholic School.
1936 – George and Susan Strake donate an organ to St. Anne Church.
1937 – Convent is built.
1938 – On November 22, a ground-breaking ceremony is held for the construction of the present-day St. Anne Church. The Strakes make a sizeable donation for this to occur.
1939 – At a cost of $180,000, the third church for St. Anne Parish is dedicated on December 10.
1941 – The rectory is constructed.
1945 – School cafeteria and junior high wing with seven classrooms is built.
1949 – Church bells are installed.
1950 – Rose window is installed.
1955 – Second capital campaign to raise $90,000 for a school gymnasium is successful. Stained glass windows installation is started.
1956 – The second church is remodeled to provide four classrooms and an auditorium.
1960 – The church is air-conditioned.
1961 – New lighting is installed and church architect, Maurice Sullivan repaints the ceiling as his last project.
1963 – New building with a bride’s room connects the school to the north side of the church.
1972 – The foundation of the church is leveled. A baby is left at the altar in October.
1974 – Sisters of Divine Providence leave the school.
1975 – The 50th anniversary Mass is celebrated on January 26. The first Spanish Mass is organized.
1977 – New Reconciliation room is built.
1980 – A new Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults program is introduced.
1981 – A new Vissar-Rowland organ is dedicated on January 23.
1982 – Formal marriage preparation program is started.
1983 – St. Anne Guild is formed by Poppy Doyle, JoAnn Edmundson, and Joan O’Leary. The St. Vincent de Paul Society is reactivated by Fr. Tom Mailloux.
1985 – The “block” houses are renovated by the Hispanic ministry.
1986 – The first church is removed from the grounds.
1989 – The fourth capital campaign is launched to raise $5.5 million to reduce the debt from the sanctuary renovations and school, construction of the parish center, and the expansion of parking and acquisition of property.
1991 – Church is renovated.
1996 – Anniversary campaign is started to complete parish center.
1998 – St. Anne Parish Center is dedicated.
2008 – The rectory undergoes extensive renovation. East Wing of the school is added.
2015 – St. Anne Catholic School celebrates its 85th anniversary during the 2015-16 school year.
2018 – The Generations of Faith capital campaign is publicly launched in December to raise funds for a commons building, parking center, and for renovation of the athletic fields. A perimeter fence and gates are added along Westheimer in the fall.